Monday, November 12, 2007

"My Only Regret"

I had someone tell me that there only regret was starting to smoke. I wish I could say that I had one regret.

Yesterday at church we had missionaries come in and present what God has been doing on the field, the Lankfords. Why I mention this with my regrets is easy. I went to a Christian college after high school (that is when most people go to college). I had two goals when I went there, one to get a degree so I can go into the missions or pastoral field. The second is to find a wife. I found my wife, but I didn't focus on my other goal. I gave in to having fun and not caring about my studies. You see, I have always been able to get through with the bare minimal. In high school I could get good grades and never opened a book. Cutting class in high school was the norm. I was able to pass all the test, so I could get good grades.

The problem was at college I could not do that. The college I attended made class time mandatory, also, I couldn't just go in and take the test if it was something I have never studied or heard of before. You see, I have a gift of learning through what I hear. I can read something and retain a good part of it, but if I hear it I know it. If I wasn't at class, I didn't hear it.

Back to my regret. Listening to the Lankfords give there presentation made my heart break. I still feel as if I missed out on my calling. I went on a short term missions trip before college. I got to go for a couple weeks to Iquitos Peru. I fell in love with the people, the culture, the attitude, and most of all God.

That was the one of the first times I felt like everything was right. It was the feeling that everything is great and going to be great. I knew right then I wanted to serve God in some amazing way. I didn't want to because of how it made me feel. I wanted to, because I then realized that God truly deserves all of our praise in all we do. Not because he gives us eternal life (which he does to those who ask and believe) but because I want to become closer to him.

Even though I messed up that opportunity to become a full time missionary, I realize right now God has me here for a reason. My wife and I are really involved with our local church. In fact we run a youth group that is just like a foreign mission field. We have only 3 kids that have a church background. I love those kids. My hearts desire is to see everyone saved, and then see them not just stop there, but have a desire for themselves to grow and want to serve the master.

I still believe one day, he might call me to go into it again, this time I will be ready.

Thanks

Uncle Jonny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home