Monday, August 08, 2005

Youth

I must say, since Lindsey and I have taken leadership over the youth group I have studied the bible a lot more. I will be honest before I have become lazy in my studies. Not now! I do have a fear now that I am responsible for them and there spiritual life. Constantly I fear that through my actions or teaching I might lead them astray.

This morning I just spent 4 hours studying for Wednesday youth group. If a question comes up, I want the answer. Also, I want to make sure that everything I speak is of God, and is what God wants me to speak.

I have earned a new respect for what Ric has done over the years. We do need to thank him and people alike for there service and sacrifice they have given to God's work. For many years Ric did this without complaining and with a sacrificial heart. Thanks Ric. Thank all the Sunday school teachers, pastors, and leaders in church and other outreach events.

Just bloging a few concerns I have.

Peace Out

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey uncle jonny check out cherokeerebel.blogspot.com AKA the Ragin Redneck.

4:45 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

You seem to collect more than your share of blog spam. I've had three for sure and one maybe in the 18 months I've had my blog. This one is like your fourth or fifth.

Anyway.

I always figure about four hours for a lesson, so that's about par. One thing I found that helped me a lot was not trying to do everything in one block of time. I would come up with a topic or series well ahead of time and just mull it over, mostly driving back and forth to work. I would jot notes as things popped into my head. From that, I could polish it up and do any research in one or two hours. I found that a lot less stressful than staring at a blank screen on Tuesday evening wondering what I was going to say.

Having some sort of plan to follow helps as well. I don't like formal curriculum much because I like to go at a pace the teens are comfortable with rather than worrying about staying on a calendar. But it is nice to have some sort of plan. For example, on Wednesday night, I was going to work through Mark, then study the early church, then work through church history (see the timeline on the bulletin board). Somewhere in there I was going to hit more of the Ray VanderLaan videos on the life of Jesus and the early church. That's probably good for a year of Wednesday nights.


Anyway. talk to you later.

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home